Monday, July 21, 2014

Yoga Love: MIMM #10


      I think it's safe to say that I have yoga on my mind all the time! I just finished the book Living Your Yoga: Finding the Spiritual in Everyday Life. So many inspiring quotes. I actually got the kindle version and used the highlight feature for the first time and I like how it groups all your highlights together in "My clippings" on the home screen. One quote I loved was the following:

"Keep up the rhythm of your practice. Remember, the point is not to do something just because it is scary. The point is to choose to do what is possible in the face of fear. That choice defines courage. And with it comes a sense of freedom" - Living Your Yoga: Finding the Spiritual in Everyday Life

      There were so many quotes and examples throughout this entire book that I connected with in my life. Things I need to do to face fears for instance. I recently packed up the things I needed and moved to a new city 800 miles from home without knowing anyone in the city or having a job. It was probably near the top of the bravest things I have done in my life. I am so happy I made the choice to move though. With my own place and a fresh start and a world of opportunities, there is that "sense of freedom."
      I can also relate this quote to my yoga practice. One pose that I am finally able to hold is crow pose. I practiced daily for months. I always felt so close and yet so far. Back in March when I first started taking photos of yoga poses, I caught myself mid air in crow. A split second that I was so excited about capturing on camera.
        I was afraid of face planting and leaning too much, but it was when I finally got over the fear and made the choice to lean farther that I found myself holding the pose and not face planting. Success! I continue to make progress on this pose as there is no such thing as perfect in yoga.

         I am also amazed to see my progress in what I view as a "simple" pose in yoga, downward dog.


          I have learned to move my chest in towards my legs more and I definitely feel the difference and get a deeper stretch in this pose than I used to.
           Lately, on weekends, I try to get outside and enjoy the sun as much as I can and also do some yoga. It was hard to take pictures before unless there was a bench nearby to set my camera down on, but now I have a little tripod that I got for my camera and had some fun trying it out on Sunday at the park. Here are some of my favorite photos from the day.


             After lots of yoga and photos, I relaxed at the park for a couple hours reading. Getting a head start on my yoga reading before teacher training, but I am sure I will have to re read it then.


           Before bed lately, I snuggle up with my yoga anatomy book. I was never an anatomy person and the only science I took in college was physics (which I was never good at either despite being a math major), so I have a lot of learning to do. I'm hoping that by looking at photos of muscles and bones and reading before bed maybe it will start to sink in on its own, or it will wait until teacher training. Either way, it is definitely fascinating information. I just have to try to remember it.
          Besides yoga, my weekend was the usual grocery shopping, some Zumba on Saturday and a bit of food prep on Sunday. This week I am kind of just going with the flow and trying to use up things in the freezer that seems to be filling up.
        Between the sun, yoga and reading, Sunday was certainly a marvelous day, so I am linking up with Katie.



         



3 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Hey Linda. I do know about that site, though I have not tried a class on it. I did some classes on yogadownload.com this weekend.

      Delete
  2. I love seeing your progress! This inspires me to take some yoga photos!

    karen \\ Fearlessly Authentic

    ReplyDelete