Sunday, January 20, 2013

30 Day Yoga Challenge

The Mat       To start off the new year right, my gym is doing a 30 day yoga challenge. Since I enjoy yoga and go to a couple classes a week already, I thought I'd try the challenge. It has given me the opportunity to experience other yoga classes and different teachers. Of course I have my favorite teachers already, but sometimes it's nice to mix it up a bit. Today is day 6 of the challenge and so far I've been successful. Yesterday, I invested in a new yoga mat from Lululemon. My first purchase I've ever made there actually, though I've been in the store so many times, often for their free yoga classes on Sundays. As expensive as this mat is, I actually think it was a really good purchase for me, especially since I'll be using it for the next 24 days and probably at least twice a week after that. This mat is great because I don't slip as easily as I did on my other thin worn yoga mat. I used to not like downward dog, a main pose in yoga, mostly because my hands and feet would slip from beneath me and I helped that a bit by keeping a towel under my hands, but with this mat, it is thicker and I seem to stick to it better, so no more slipping!

      Since starting this 30 day challenge, despite being a bit sore constantly, I also feel a bit more relaxed and I feel like my arms and core are getting stronger. It must be all those planks and downward dogs. I have enjoyed my 1 hr of yoga a day at the gym to relax after work. Though I have also been happier since starting a new position in the accounting department at work. I still have a lot to learn, but so far it has been pretty good. I also changed my work hours so that I get out at 4:30 instead of 5pm. That half hour difference saves me a half hour of driving in 5 o'clock traffic. It now only takes me 40 minutes to get home instead of the hour and 15 minutes in traffic (hence the reason I would usually go to the gym down the road after work to try to save time driving as well).
    So I will be continuing with this yoga challenge until Feb 14. I know this challenge will also really help me decide if I want to train to be a yoga teacher someday.


No comments:

Post a Comment