Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Bahamas Vacation: Part 1 Arrival and Settling in

      From October 11-19, 2013, I was in the Bahamas with my wonderful boyfriend. Since we are long distance and don't get to see each other often due to work and flight costs, we decided to go on a trip to celebrate our 4 year anniversary. Here is how the arrival went. I hope to get the next parts up by this weekend. Enjoy.

        On October 11th, I left Chicago to meet up with my boyfriend, Brian, in Ft Lauderdale, FL. Our plan was to spend the night in Florida and then take the plane out to Governor’s Harbour, Eleuthera, Bahamas in the morning.
                Well I landed in Florida at about 11pm Florida time and found out when I landed that Brian didn’t make his connection flight in Detroit. So I was alone in Florida for the night. I finally made it to the hotel and it felt like it took forever to check in even though there were only 2 people in front of me, but it was midnight and I was ready to put my bags down and hop into bed.
                The bad luck continued as I thought my room was on the 6th floor and it turned out I was reading the number wrong and it was a 5, but it was handwritten and not very clear. I finally made it to the room, got online, found the HGTV channel and talked to Brian for a bit before heading to bed.


                The next morning, I left the hotel around 9am and met up with Brian at the terminal. Our flight was leaving around 11am. We got through security and everything and then had to wait. The waiting time just made me more nervous. I was nervous because it was going to be a small plane and I wasn’t sure about the turbulence. The only small planes I have been on in the past were in Hawaii and I was not fond of the turbulence and roller coaster like ride that it was. I hate roller coasters.
                Eventually we boarded our little plane and boy was I glad I am not a claustrophobic type person, because the plane was teeny tiny on the inside. I got out my piece of gum for the ride and was chewing it to calm myself. We took off and reached 10,000 feet fairly quickly and you know, it ended up not being that bad. I was totally calm after take off and enjoying the flight until the long lengthy landing came. We reached the island and started to land, turning around and flying over the island starting at the northern tip till the airport which lies in about the middle of the island. . The landing was so dragged out. I felt like it was an eternity and just stared out the window, just keeping to myself, not even wanting Brian to touch me. I just wanted to be on the ground.
                We finally landed on what looked like a road for cars, but was actually the airport. The smallest airport I’ve even been to for sure. We went inside and waited as they carried the bags inside and then we went one at a time to open our bags and make sure we didn’t bring anything over to the islands that wasn’t allowed.
                We got our rental jeep and drove to the cottage, stopping at the biggest grocery store on the island, which was hardly big considering American grocery stores. In addition the prices were high since everything is brought over by ship. I found some baked beans, apples, peanut butter and crackers so I was happy.   
the beach outside our cottage, look at those beautiful colors

our cottage


first day on the beach enjoying the weather


                We got to the cottage and I immediately found my shorts in my suitcase and then had a snack. The rest of the afternoon, we were settling into the island life, walked along the beach outside our front door and took a drive down the main road. Since it was the off season, not many restaurants were open, but we found one just around the corner from our cottage and got some Grouper Fingers and salads to go. I don’t normally eat fish, but I like breaded fish. The food was amazing and we got to enjoy it outside on our porch while watching the waves crash onto the beach. 

That's all for the arrival. More to come soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment